Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sloppy Lentils


Many thanks to my friend, Amanda, over at The Screaming Penny for this recipe. The only thing I changed in her recipe was to adjust the amounts to feed my family and added the worcestershire sauce. We ate this on organic whole wheat buns and had broccoli on the side. (I really must get my kids to start eating vegetables other than broccoli!)

2 T Olive Oil
2 green bell pepper -diced
2 medium onion- diced
8 cloves of garlic- minced (adjust to taste)
6 T chili powder
3 C dried lentils, rinsed and picked through
6 C water

28 iz crushed tomatoes (can use diced w/ juice instead)
1 small can tomato paste
4 T soy sauce or tamari
2 T mustard
4 T brown sugar
2 T worcestershire sauce (not organic)
salt and pepper to taste

Saute peppers, onion and garlic in oil. Add chili powder and cook one more minute, stirring frequently. Transfer to slow cooker and lentils and water. Cook on low for 7 hours. Add other ingredients and cook on high 1 hr. Serve on buns like Sloppy Joes or over rice/quinoa,etc.


Now, I don't have a completely accurate cost analysis on this meal because I don't remember how much my lentils cost. The next time I'm at Whole Foods I will price them and update this post. For now, I'm going to assume $1 for 1 cup of lentils.

Total price for sloppy lentils on buns: $22.38
With side of brocolli: $28.36

1 comment: