Monday, January 11, 2010

Chicken Noodle Soup

Tonight's dinner was a HUGE success. I mean HUGE HUGE HUGE!! I don't get many meals where every single child LOVED the meal! Every single ingredient was organic!
Chicken Noodle Soup

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 box Chicken Broth
1 box Vegetable Broth
4 carrots, peeled and coined
3 small onions(or 2 medium), coarsely chopped
1 full heart of celery, chopped
4 T coarsely chopped basil
2 T minced Thyme
8 cloves minced garlic
1/2 box Eden soy vegetable ABC's (or noodle of choice)
1/2 C soy sauce

Pour chicken broth and vegetable broth into a stock pot and begin to heat. Meanwhile, chop all chicken into bite sized pieces. Add chicken to broth. Add all vegatables and seasonings to broth and chicken. Bring to a rapid boil. Boil five minutes. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to the directions on the box. When soup is done simmering, add noodles and soy sauce. Stir. Simmer five minutes more.



Okay, so it's obvious I don't write recipes. If any of this is unclear, let me know.

Every single one of my children RAVED about this soup. They each had seconds...then were bummed when there wasn't enough for thirds!

I had originally planned on making garlic butter breadsticks (using the same bread recipe as the other day, but rolling them into sticks before cooking, then brushing with garlic butter. However, I didn't start them early enough, so it was just the soup tonight. I'm going to total up this menu as though we had the bread sticks though because it was supposed to be part of the meal.

Total for soup: $29.13
Total for bread sticks: $7.25
Total for meal: $36.38

Things I could have done differently: I could have used chicken bullion and vegetable bullion instead of the boxes of broth. I could have used dried thyme and basil instead of fresh. I could have used regular garlic instead of pre peeled garlic. This probably would have saved me around $5.80 on this meal. I had originally thought that was pretty slim, but saving that much on every dinner would save me $174 over the course of a month!

I think I may start buying bullion instead of the boxes of broth. I'm afraid it will greatly affect the overall taste of the meal, though. We'll see!

The kids rotate nights helping me cook dinner. Tonight's meal was brought to you by Sera!

No comments:

Post a Comment